Saturday, February 20, 2010

Portfolio

I’ve been creating sculpture for a long time…since childhood really. I’ve always enjoyed building things and deconstructing objects. Below are some images of my past work that relate to body casting and mold making in particular.

After a serious back injury a few years ago I became extremely interested in how the skeletal system works as a support structure for the human body. Based on the idea of injury and recovery I created a series that displayed the human form at its best and at its worst. I was allowed into the cadaver lab at Dalhousie University to cast a human spine and that experience inspired me to create these pieces.


Atlas Struggle (resin and fiberglass):



The Fall (plaster, wax, steel):

(Detail)

Growth (plaster and wax):


(Detail)


Having two children changed how I see myself and made me less self-indulgent when it comes to my work. It’s hard to be self-involved when you’re in the process of creating another life. Rather than focusing on physical deformities I now focus on the beauty of changes in the physical form. No two pregnant women look the same or go through the same changes and yet they are all unified and beautiful. Looking at a new life is a moving, life changing experience that words cannot describe. Using art, sculpture, and casting to capture these moments is significant to me and I’m lucky to be able to share in that experience with new and expecting parents.




No comments:

Post a Comment